InterAction is a free citywide multi-agency twice weekly drop-in at two locations in Newcastle for the benefit of the following people/organisations;
- asylum seekers, refugees and/or other migrants
- volunteers who want to help migrants settle and integrate in Newcastle
- organisations who provide services that benefit migrants
The drop will operate at the following locations / times*;
- Tuesdays 12 noon – 2pm at CastleGate at City Church, Melbourne Street, Newcastle
- Thursdays 12 noon – 2pm at West End Library, Condercum Rd, Newcastle
What is this project?
InterAction is a project run by Action Foundation to provide a friendly, accessible, interactive and supportive environment to help new and other migrants experiencing loneliness, isolation and feelings of disorientation to;
- build diverse and sustainable relationships/friendship networks
- develop confidence in mixing and conversing socially (in English)
- feel more informed about and connected to the local community and culture, and
- learn how best to access and make the most of the opportunities and services available to them
The project is funded by the Building Connections Fund and is part of Refugee Action’s Early Action partnership.
“It was the best opportunity for me to come to the English classes and the teacher was very friendly and I am meeting new people. I think that I am improving my English and my normal life. I think it’s very different because before I started coming to the English class I was very frustrated because I don’t have nothing to do at all. Nothing! So when I started coming I started to feel more happy and more smiling, yes. It was a very good improvement.”