We asked InterAction Drop-in Co-ordinator and Iranian Refugee Jonah Mesgarnezhad, who is also an extremely enthusiastic and talented cook, to share one of his favourite dishes with us to celebrate Refugee Week.
The result?! An extremely green and tasty dish that’s simple to make and looks delicious! We’ll let Jonah show you how to make it at home…
Kuku Sabzi is one of my favourite Persian dishes. We had this dish at home for lunch or dinner normally. The reason I chose this dish is because it reminds me of so many good memories from the past and has a mix of Mediterranean and Middle East dishes.
The Kuku Sabzi is very green because it has different herbs and the only thing bonding these herb together is eggs. You make Kuku Sabzi like other omelettes. You can have kuku sabzi with bread, yoghurt, feta cheese and my favourite goat cheese.
½ cup Roughly Chopped Dill
¾ cup Chopped Parsley
¾ cup Chopped Coriander
½ cup Chopped leek
2 cloves Garlic, chopped
½ tsp Turmeric
Pinch of Salt
½ tsp Black Pepper
1 tbsp Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder (if you want to give it a little fluffed)
Vegetable oil (coat the bottom of the pan)
Walnut halves (3 cloves)
1. Position your oven rack on the middle rack and heat it up on 180 °C.
2. Combine all of your chopped vegetables together, you can do that with a food processor if you have if you do not it you can mixed them with a spoon after you chopped vegetables.
3. Now you can mix all your ingredients together finely chopped garlic, eggs, turmeric, salt, black pepper and flour in a big bowl and mix them with your hand/whisker.
4. After you mixed everything you can place your mix in the tray or cake pan you coated with oil on the bottom and sides. Dot the walnut halves on the top.
5. Bake your kuku sabzi in the oven you heated up for around 25 minutes, the egg will rise while is baking but it will go down after you take it out.
6. Leave it for 10 minutes to cool down and serve it with Greek yogurt.
I hope you enjoy it, Thank you.
Giving it a try?
If you make Jonah’s dish please take some pictures and share it on our social media channels and tag us!